Author Topic: Life at Sea - Q&A  (Read 25453 times)

Offline Milan1975bg

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Life at Sea - Q&A
« Reply #15 on: 01/April/2009 »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have any information on the Cruise Ship Diploma eLearning course, is it real?
I was going to order a package from a company that helps you with your C.V and interview questions, are they worth it?

huh 125$ for something that you learn on ship for free
personally for me it`s rip-off

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01/April/2009 »

I have a few questions that I hope you can assist me with.
Is the Cruise Ship Diploma eLearning course a scam?
I was going to order a package from a company that helps you with your C.V and interview questions, are they worth it?

I may be moving to another island in a month or so, what address should I put on my CV?  I was planning on putting both my current and permanent one in Canada but with some of the online forms only allowing for one, I want to be found.

Cruise Ship Diploma eLearning course is a waste of time and money, and I am telling you this without even glancing on that page. It is a very popular scheme. You make a web page for close to nothing, and offer a promise of a good thing. Money pours in.
And just in case that someone gets really mad and decides to take this scam scheme to the court, you will get some useless information that will spinn you 360, and get you right where you first started, but $120 lighter.
And how can a Judge decide what is a good servise and what is a scam?

In reality, Cruise Ship Diploma eLearning course is just a combination of words, that will get a job seeker to their page, and to the real cruise community - it is a joke.
What will get you a job, is face to face interview with the cruise company representative.
As you can tell, this forum is mainly dealing with the European candidates, so the best advice I can give you, is to google cruise line official web sites, and find those contacts online.
And if an e-mail doesn't help, as Seaman said - take a short trip to Florida, specifically Miami, and knock on the doors.
Every Cruise Line has an HR department, and they are constantly hiring.

Permanent address on your CV is just fine, but again, do not place too much trust in online hiring.
Good luck with getting a job, if filipino and thailand national can get it ( with their broken english) - so can you.
Persistance is the key.

:uzdravlje:

Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline neilmk

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21/June/2010 »
Great question.

I worked on cruise ships for several years and was heavily involved with the team who created the Cruise Ship Diploma elearning course (the same team who are also behind well known e-learning brands such as CabinCrewDirect.com, PSADiploma.com, etc).

First of all, absolutely no disrespect to the two moderators here who have both worked on ships and quite obviously know the industry inside out, BUT... judging by their comments to your question, neither has actually looked at the course, enrolled on it, or know anything about it at all (one openly admits to not having even looked at the website). nothing wrong with that of course but they are simply expressing their opinions based on the facts they had to hand and probably their past experience of scam merchants who have and still do operate in this industry - and rightly so!

So, I'm here as one of the course creators to simply add a bit more weight to these facts; not to over-rule the respected opinions of the moderators in question :)

Anyway, here's my comments:

First of all the Cruise Ship Diploma is a COURSE that you study and learn from and receive a certificate from, in the same way you would at school or college to enhance your employment prospects. It is not a job site and taking the Cruise Ship Diploma elearning course by itself DOES NOT guarantee you a job, in the same way that going to college and studying a course in Mechanics does not guarantee you’ll get a job as a mechanic at the end of it.  Neither the course brochure nor website make any such promise - if it did, then yes it would be a total scam! The only people who can guarantee you jobs are the cruise lines.

Remember, just as has already been mentioned in this thread, you can only get hired by contacting cruise lines directly, submitting your applications, going through the recruitment and interview process and being very persistent.

However, the cruise industry is a VERY competitive industry as you probably already realize. You are competing with tens of thousands of other job seekers from all over the world. So, you won't get hired by simply being the same as everybody else. You often need to do something that helps you to stand out, to be a little bit different from the masses, something that gives you an edge - whether that's actually knocking on the doors of cruise lines, being more experienced than every other applicant, or simply making sure your application stands out from everybody else's when it hits the Inbox of the recruiter. And that's where the course has helped people in a lot of cases because it can give your application an 'edge' - and sometimes that little edge can make all the difference.

Afterall, if you were a recruiter and you had two applicants; both had exactly the same qualifications and experience except one had taken it upon himself to take an additional course related to the job he was applying for and because of this, he understood the industry better, knew what was involved in the job and the life onboard and more... wouldn't you agree that this person probably had the edge over the other applicant?

On top of this, one of the most common pieces of feedback from students who have taken the course is that the confidence it's given them at their interviews has by itself made it more than worthwhile. Particularly having the ability to talk about the industry knowledgable, answer questions confidently and have an awareness about working on cruise ships that most normal applicants would not have.

Another piece of feedback is that interviewers have been impressed by applicants who have taken it upon themselves to take such a course showing a genuine desire to work in the industry.

On the negative side, one or two people have said that taking the course would be irrelevant and wouldn't make any difference to a persons job application. Fortunately that's the only negative feedback so far about the course. On the whole, it's been very positive and well received.

On top of this many respected colleges from around the world are now introducing the Cruise Ship Diploma course as part of their travel and tourism courses as they believe it will enhance their own students qualifications and prospects in the cruise industry. Right now it's being introduced to colleges in New Zealand, South Africa, the UK and India and most recently, China.

Taking the course is an investment and I am by no means  trying to 'sell' you on it here.  Far from it. I think it's something you should look at and think very carefully about whether you think it could help you or not. It's not for everyone and once again, it certainly can't guarantee you a job all by itself.

Thanks for your time and to the moderators of this site for allowing me to share my comments from the "other side".

Best of luck

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Cruise Ship Diploma elearning course
« Reply #18 on: 07/July/2010 »
The price went up - Fee $249
Still think it is not money well spent, if there ever was a buyer.
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)