Author Topic: Carnival Employment FAQ  (Read 29631 times)

Offline CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Carnival Employment FAQ
« on: 27/April/2011 »
Carnival Entertainment
http://www.carnivalentertainment.com/

What documents do I need to work on board a Carnival Ship?
* All shipboard employees are required to have a valid passport.
* With the exception of Canadians, all non-U.S. Citizens must have a C1D visa
* Select entertainment personnel who will be training/rehearsing for a show at a shoreside facility must have an H3 visa or official letter
* All employees must undergo an approved and current Carnival Cruise Lines medical examination and documentation
* Official employment letter (provided by Carnival)
* Select entertainment personnel must provide a signed Carnival contract

What paperwork should I carry in my hand luggage when traveling to a ship?
All above documents must be carried in employees’ carry-on luggage, either to present to Customs and Immigration on arrival into the US, or to present to the
ship’s security personnel to board the ship.

Do you have to be a certain age to work on board?
Employees must be at least 18 years of age to work aboard a Carnival Cruise Lines’ vessel.
* Youth Program Employees - Must be at least 21 years of age (Camp Carnival, Circle C, Club O2 Directors)

What should I expect at Immigration and Customs?
Once arriving into the U.S., employees must go through Immigration and Customs at which time they must present their passport (and visas if applicable),
as well as Carnival’s official employment letter.
All other necessary paperwork will be provided by the hostesses on your flight prior to arriving in the US.
*Those employees who will be training/rehearsing shoreside before they join a ship must present a H3 visa or official letter

Do I need visas for getting off the ship in ports?
All non-U.S. Carnival personnel are required to have an I-95 form to visit any U.S. port; this must be presented each time employees leave the ship.
I-95 forms can be obtained aboard Carnival ships, and must be surrendered upon completion of your contract or termination of employment.

Will I be subject to a background check?
U.S. citizens are required to complete a background check.
* All staff in the Youth Programs must complete a background check;

Do I need to purchase travel insurance?
All Carnival employees will be required to complete an extensive companydefined medical examination prior to joining the ship.
The examination is at the employees’ expense.
The examination can be conducted through your own doctor or one of Carnival’s recommended medical facilities.
Once the medical examination is complete and approved by our corporate medical department, employees will be cleared to travel.
Medical documentation will then be valid for two years. Carnival will not cover certain pre-existing medical conditions. - PHI Medicals (definite) are only valid for one year
Medical examinations are required as Carnival Cruise Lines covers employees’ medical needs per company guidelines, as well as basic dental work and eye
examinations while employees are under contract (?)
When leaving the vessel, employees have the option of purchasing insurance for coverage during vacation time. This can be arranged on board.

Will I be allowed to choose the ship of my choice?
For employees’ first contract with Carnival Cruise Lines, it is highly unlikely that they will be placed on a ship of their choice. After one contract with the company,
employees may request a particular ship, however, be advised that all ships must be staffed, and requests are not always guaranteed.
Also, due to the entertainer’s talent, style or ability, they may only be suited to certain ships, depending on the ship itinerary, clientele and entertainment line up.

Where do the ships go?
Visit www.carnival.com for a listing of current itineraries.

Do I need to purchase travel insurance?
All Carnival employees will be required to complete an extensive companydefined medical examination prior to joining the ship at the employees’ expense.
The examination can be conducted through your own doctor or one of Carnival’s recommended medical facilities. Once the medical examination is complete and
approved by our corporate medical department, employees will be cleared to travel and the medical documentation will then be valid for two years.
Carnival will not cover certain pre-existing medical conditions.
Medical examinations are required as Carnival Cruise Lines covers employees’ medical needs per company guidelines, as well as basic dental work and eye
examinations.
When leaving the vessel, employees have the option of purchasing insurance for coverage during vacation time. This can be arranged on board.

Do my medical benefits extend to my immediate family members?
Unfortunately your medical benefits cannot be extended to employees’ family members.

What happens if I get ill onboard?
Should employees become ill while onboard, the infirmary is available with all expenses covered by Carnival Cruise Lines.
Should employees have to leave the ship to seek further medical attention, expenses will be covered by the company per applicable company guidelines with sick pay and maintenance paid as per the employment agreement. A Carnival Crew Medical Coordinator will be assigned to assist you in the event of a medical disembark.

How do I get to the ship?
Depending on the location of the ships’ homeport, most crewmembers fly to the ship to which they are assigned. In most cases, this will be at the crewmembers’
expense for the first contract, depending on the position (individual job descriptions offer additional information on this). Once employees successfully
complete their first contract, transportation is provided by Carnival Cruise Lines. Please note that transportation to and from the airport are employees’ responsibility.

How much time is there between cruises?
The amount of time between cruises is approximately three hours.
As soon as the last guests from the previous cruise have disembarked, embarkation for the next voyage begins.

Do I get a full 24 hour day off?
Considering ‘round the clock nature of the cruise business and that ships generally have a three-hour turnover between voyages, guests are on board the
vessels seven days a week. That said, depending on the ship’s schedule and supervisor, employees may receive an occasional full day off.

Does Carnival have a personal appearance policy?
Yes, Carnival has a personal appearance policy called the “Carnival Look.” The policy was established so that the company’s employees look their best to guests
at all times. A copy of this policy can be found in the download section of this site.

Does Carnival hire couples?
Carnival Cruises Lines is a very “couple friendly” cruise line, and endeavors to allow couples to work on the same ship whenever possible.
For prospective couples are seeking employment with Carnival, for the first contract it may prove difficult to keep them together on the ship same as all
contracts are completed at different times. Further, Carnival prefers to assess employees as individuals before committing to hiring them as couples.
Once couples of completed their first contract, Carnival will try its best to place them together for your future contracts, however, there are many factors involved and this is not guaranteed.
Bear in mind that cabin space on a particular ship can be at a premium. Should couples wish to live together, they must submit a formal request with the
Manager Staff Administration. Assuming space is available, requests are granted on a first come/first serve basis.

What languages do I need to be able to speak?
All Carnival Cruise Lines employees must be fluent in English. Any other languages spoken by employees are certainly an asset to the company.

How long is a “contract”?
Contract range anywhere from three to 10 months, depending on the position. Employees live onboard for the total length of their contracts.

Can I take time off during my contract?
Time off during contracts is not permitted, unless pre-arranged with the corporate supervisor. In the case of family emergencies, Carnival Cruise Lines does
understand that employees may require additional time to return home and does its best to accommodate these requests.

Can I get cruise discounts for my family?
Following the successful completion of employees’ first contract, discounted rates are available to both employees and their family members.
For additional information, please visit the benefits section of the web site.

Do I get any guest privileges?
Member of the entertainment staff are provided with certain guest area privileges such as the gym/spa, bars, lounges, clubs and most of the Lido deck area.
Dress code should always reflect the “Carnival Look” while in these areas and guests must always take priority in utilizing the various facilities.

Do you provide Room & Board?
Carnival Cruise Lines does provide room and board for all shipboard employees.
Cabins are relatively small compared to a land-based accommodations, but completely livable. Generally speaking, entertainment staff members are placed
in double occupancy cabins, which include two beds, two wardrobes, a bathroom and several drawers and small storage spaces. All cabins have a TV and VCR or
DVD player.

How much luggage am I allowed to bring?
Since cabin space is very limited, it is recommended that employees bring only what is needed. Additionally, large suitcases are not recommended as they can
be difficult to store in the cabin. Employees should bring enough toiletries for at least two weeks.

What should I “not” bring onboard?
Objects such as kettles, transformers, electric irons/heaters, candles and weapons are strictly prohibited.

Can I keep food in my cabin?
No foods other than dry snacks are permitted in the cabins.

How will I be paid while onboard?
You will be paid U.S. dollars on a bi-weekly basis from the paymaster on board.

Is there direct deposit onboard?
Direct deposit is only available on select ships at this time; it is not available fleetwide. Employees are encouraged to open a bank account in one of the ports
of call and make deposits in person. The bank chosen should offer Internet banking so that employees can manage their money from the ship.

Is there a way to make additional money onboard?
Should employees have spare time, they may work for one of the concessions aboard ship such as super shopper and art auctioneers. Additional information is provided on board.

Where can I keep my money safely?
There are safety deposit boxes available at the manager of staff administration office for a $25 USD deposit, which is returned at the end of the contract.

Will I have to pay taxes?
For United States citizens, federal taxes are automatically deducted from their pay. U.S. Citizens will be required to pay state taxes if applicable.
All other employees of Carnival Cruise Lines are responsible for filing their own taxes upon returning to their home country as a self-employed resident.

Is there an ATM onboard?
An ATM is on onboard. The withdrawal fee is $5.50 USD. ATMs are also available in all homeports.

Can I wire money to my home country or family?
You may wire money from the ship through the paymaster. Details are available onboard. Rates may vary.

Should I bring cash with me?
It is recommended to bring at least $100 USD until employees first payday in case of emergency.

Can I get a Sail & Sign account?
Since the ship is a cashless environment, employees are required to set up a Sail & Sign account to make purchases in guest areas.
A Sail & Sign account is similar to a debit card and a privilege to staff and officers. Account can be established at the manager staff administration office; a minimum deposit of $50 USD is required.

What happens if I go over the limit on my sail & sign card?
Going over your balance could jeopardize this privilege and those who exceed their limit must pay the amount owed immediately.
Those who are over their limit for more than two days and have not paid the balance will lose all Sail & Sign privileges.

Can I make purchases in the Gift Shop?
The gift shop is available to crewmembers during certain hours. Carnival Cruise Lines employees are entitled to a 20 percent discount on all items.

Will I be able to buy personal hygiene products onboard?
The gift shop does have personal hygiene products, however, when in port you may also purchase these products from a local market such as Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

Where will I eat?
Member of the entertainment department dine in the staff dining room. Depending on the ship, entertainment department employees may also have
access to some Lido deck guest dining areas such as the 24-hour pizzeria and the breakfast and lunchtime buffets.
On some of our ships we have an exquisite Supper Club, which is a five-star restaurant offering gourmet food and impeccable service.
If space is available, staff may dine in the supper club for $30 USD per person, as well as a mandatory $10 USD gratuity.

How do I do laundry?
There are laundry facilities available for the crew. They include washers and dryers that are free of charge; however, employees must provide their own detergent.
There is also a Chinese laundry that you can utilize for $1 fee per item. Dry cleaning can be arranged on all ships for a nominal fee.

What rules are there onboard?
A full list of rules is available in the shipboard handbook once employees board the ship.

What is the power onboard, in my cabin?
Cabins offer several types of power, including US 110V and 120V outlets as well as various international outlets.

What is a Seafarer’s Agreement?
A seafarer’s agreement is contract between you and company stating your terms of employment as a seaman. Each Carnival employee receives this document once they arrive onboard.
If you would like to see a sample contract prior to arrival onboard one will be provided upon request. Please note that the money stated on the seafarers agreement does not include vacation pay, which is
calculated into employees’ regular biweekly pay.

What happens if I miss the ship?
Employees who miss the ship should contact the ship’s agent who will be at the port and he/she will arrange transportation to the ship’s next port of call.
It is the responsibility of the employee to pay for the transportation costs to meet the ship.
Employees may be disciplined for the offense, up to and including termination. Above all, employees should check their watches and make sure they don’t miss the ship!

Who is my boss on the ship?
Employees’ boss on the ship is their immediate supervisor.

What is the “MSA”?
MSA is the Manager of Staff Administration. They are the information desk for all crew.

Will I have Internet Access?
Crew internet cafes are available aboard all ships. Rates are $20 USD for 200 minutes.
Employees who have their own laptop computer may use them at convenient Wi-Fi locations throughout the ship.

How do I call home?
Calling cards are available for $10 USD to call anywhere in the world and can be used on the phone in crew staterooms.

How do I get my mail?
Each ship has its own individual mailing address; these can be found on the (list web site page).

Can I use my cell phone onboard?
Cell phone service is available onboard at all times; however, international roaming rates do apply.

Can I get off the ship while the ship is in port?
While off duty, employees’ time in port is their own. Employees are encouraged to enjoy Carnival’s amazing ports of call. Remember one of the advantages to
this job is seeing the world -- so take advantage of it!

Can I go on Shore Excursions?
Shore Excursions are organized tours arranged by the ship for our guests to enjoy in the ports of call. They range from sightseeing to swimming with dolphins.
Assuming space is available, employees are welcome to enjoy the excursions at a discounted price. Additional details are available via the shore excursion manager on board.

What is the drinking age onboard?
Staff drinking age onboard is 18 in all crew areas. In guest areas the drinking age is 21 with no exceptions.
Carnival does have a strict alcohol policy which can be viewed at the download section of this website.

Does Carnival have a drug policy?
Carnival Cruise Lines does have a “ZERO TOLERANCE” drug policy, Violation of these policies will result in dismissal. All crew are subject to “random” and
“reasonable suspicion” drug testing.

Can I smoke onboard?
Designated smoking areas are located throughout the ship. Employees will be informed of these areas upon embarkation of the vessel.
Smoking in crew cabins is forbidden.

Are there any “off duty” activities to partake in?
On every Carnival Cruise Lines vessel, there is a Crew Activities committee that is responsible for setting up and hosting various crew events.
Notice boards are available aboard ship providing a listing of upcoming events.

Can I socialize in Guest Areas?
When your duties are complete, employees are free to socialize in guest areas. You must, of course, be dressed appropriately and be on your “Guest Area Behavior.”
Please remember the guests do come first. At no time may employees fraternize with guests by going to their cabin.

Are there places to work out?
There are two gyms onboard the ship -- one for guests and one for crew. Both are available to staff to use at their leisure.
Once again, guests take priority, meaning that if the guest gym is full, employees must utilize the crew gym or try the guest gym at a less crowded time.

Are the places to socialize with fellow officers, staff & crew?
All Carnival ships offer a crew lounge where employees can meet and relax with fellow team members and enjoy discounted drinks.

Can I use the swimming pools and deck areas?
Decks are available to you but once again guests take priority. Pool availability is based on the decision of shipboard management, and if available may only be used while in port.

Can family and friends come and visit me for the day?
Employees can apply for a one-day visitors’ pass for family and friends which must be approved by the staff captain of the vessel.

Is there a curfew?
There is no set curfew on board; however, those employees who are out late should be respectful of their fellow crewmembers.

Is there a hair salon onboard?
Each ship features a spa and hair salon onboard and treatments are offered at a discounted price to crewmembers who are required to make an appointment (please remember that guests take priority).

What is the ship’s command?
The ship’s command comprises the officers who are in charge of the vessel. They include the captain and his immediate team of officers.

Do I have to participate in Boat Drills?
All employees undergo emergency training and depending on the employees’ specific emergency duties, they may be required to participate in guest boat
drills, but all crew must take part in the crew boat drills. Guest boat drills are held on embarkation day before the vessel sails.
Crew boat drills take place once a month on a port day. Boat drills are held for the safety of both guests and crew.

What is In Port Manning?
A percentage of crew members are assigned to remain on board during port time to assist in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Port manning responsibilities are scheduled on a rotating basis.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?
Carnival ships employ individuals from all over the world and crewmembers are encouraged to try to live and work together as best they can.
Those who experience a cabin mate issue may report this to your immediate supervisor who will try to facilitate a cabin switch.
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline lidaja

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival Employment FAQ
« Reply #1 on: 14/April/2012 »
prema zadnjim informacijama, CCL ne zapošljava više osobe mlađe od 21 godinu. donja granica pristupu interviewu je navršena 21 godina.
don't dream your life live your dreams

Offline CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/April/2012 »
Hajde kome se hoće, nek im pošalje email, da čujemo šta će reć. Ja mislim da je trenutno ograničenje na 21 hir sadašnjeg regrutera.
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline lidaja

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/April/2012 »
eric (F&B) je na zadnjem intervju poslao mlađe od 21 doma. tak neka ljudi znaju.
don't dream your life live your dreams