Author Topic: How is a Photographers life onboard  (Read 13182 times)

Offline domnicjohnson

• Registered
    • View Profile
How is a Photographers life onboard
« on: 15/May/2009 »
Hi Friends,

I just completed my graduation in BFA Photography,and i am a freelance Photographer from past few years, i am now looking to career in Cruse line as a Photographer.. and if would be of great help for me if anyone could give me some tips and tell me how life is for a photographer on cruise...

Thanks in Advance...
Domnic.

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Re: How is a Photographers life onboard
« Reply #1 on: 15/May/2009 »
Domnic, there has been lot said on croatian version, and I hope someone will clarify this position in english too ..

I'll recap it for you:
Long hours and pressure to sell as many photos to guests as possible.
Many photographers don't like the fact that cruise companies are forcing them to walk around dining rooms and interrupt people while eating, only to shoot more photos, and possibly sell more.
A good number of East Europeans does not mind that, and some of them have accepted that practice in order to live a lifestyle of a "cruise the world and make money" idea.
However, that might be a good deal for East Europe candidates, but probably not so for USA or GB citizen.
European agencies are hiring even unexperianced personall, who never had an expensive photo camera in their hand, as long as they show will to do the job and sell for the company. It is all about the money.
I guess your qualifications can help you get the job, ut be prepared for a lot of work.
There are no US citizen in Photo dpt. onboard cruisers, except for photo manager maybe.
And another thing ... you would have to share very small cabin with your work mate.

How badly do you need the job?
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline domnicjohnson

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/May/2009 »
Thanks for the quick reply...

So the photographer is only suppose to sell the photos to the people, and what if they dont want to buy them!!
and any idea about the salary... how do they get paid.. is it salary or only commission... and i am from India,
and about the job if i get it in the next two months also i will be ready to join... and i dont mind working for long hr... can u please tel me what is the job of the photographer on cruise... does he jus have to walk around and keep clickin pics and sell it to the people or is there more thn that... I would like to get a job in the next 2 months... Early the better it is...

I see there are many other forums about photography, but i dont understand the language... hope more people out here could help me. 

Thanks ones again.... :)

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/May/2009 »

This is job description by Princess Cruises, found on the web site where you can apply online:http://www.princess.com/employment/info/shipboard.jsp#photography

Please mail your resume to:

Fleet Personnel Department – Princess Cruises
c/o Carnival UK
Richmond House
Terminus Terrace
Southampton
Hampshire
SO14 3PN
Resumes can also be e-mailed to the following e-mail address: princess.recruitment@princesscruises.co.uk

Photography

Staff Photographers:

Requires extensive experience in digital photography and/or formal photography training. Onboard photography is primarily centered on portrait and event photography, using both natural locations and onboard studio setups with backdrops and studio lighting. Experience in souvenir/event photography, sales and digital processing are also desired. Attention to detail, teamwork and outstanding customer service are the most important elements of this job.

Photographer's salary goes in vicinity of $2.000 per months, but heavily depends on how much sale you make.
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline domnicjohnson

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/May/2009 »
THanks ones again.. :)

hope something works out..

Offline gryedouge

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/September/2010 »
Domnic, there has been lot said on croatian version, and I hope someone will clarify this position in english too ..

I'll recap it for you:
Long hours and pressure to sell as many photos to guests as possible.
Many photographers don't like the fact that cruise companies are forcing them to walk around dining rooms and interrupt people while eating, only to shoot more photos, and possibly sell more.
A good number of East Europeans does not mind that, and some of them have accepted that practice in order to live a lifestyle of a "cruise the world and make money" idea.
However, that might be a good deal for East Europe candidates, but probably not so for USA or GB citizen.
European agencies are hiring even unexperianced personall, who never had an expensive photo camera in their hand, as long as they show will to do the job and sell for the company. It is all about the money.
I guess your qualifications can help you get the job, ut be prepared for a lot of work.
There are no US citizen in Photo dpt. onboard cruisers, except for photo manager maybe.
And another thing ... you would have to share very small cabin with your work mate.

How badly do you need the job?

Have to agree with Šef Foruma on this one. On some cruise lines, you work directly for the cruise line company and on others, you are part of a concessionary group earning on a commission base. We have US citizens working for us, but it seems that in general, they don't stay too long.

Apart from that, on our cruise line, when you are in port, you have to wear some stupid costume and hang around the gangway so guests can have their pictures taken with you. So imagine wearing a dolphin suit in summer in Barbados...not pleasant. I don't envy ship photographers.