Author Topic: Michael  (Read 4937 times)

Offline michaba03m

• Registered
    • View Profile
Michael
« on: 06/March/2009 »
hey there, thanks for giving your time to reply to these posts!
I'm just interested at the moment, intrigued at the possibility of doing it in the FUTURE, cos obviously I'm too young right now.
I have a few questions though, some of which I can't think of right now so I'll write another time!
First of all, obviously you'll get a lot of questions about how much time you can spend it ports. Specifically, did you have time to act almost as a tourist in some ports? Where you able to properly explore the areas you were in, or is it really almost impossible to actually see much of the places that you go?
The second question is about job competition. Clearly a job on a cruise liner is a dream job for many people, so is there a lot of competition for jobs? How would cruise liners pick who to employ out of a list of non-skilled applicants? Would it be better to train say as a bartender before applying, and therefore have a better chance of entry?
The third question is about the holiday time. You said that you get a couple of weeks of unpaid vacation for a 6 month contract. Would this vacation have to be on the ship? Or could it be taken while at a port, hence using the vacation time to explore the area? (Kind of linking into first question there) Would you be able to fly home and back for that vacation?
My next question is about personal space; I have this vision that on this huge cruise ship I'd be able to find a special personal place that most people wouldn't know about, and therefore be able to spend some personal time there. Would you think that things like that would occur?
My final question is surrounding computer and internet access on-board. Would workers be permitted to bring laptops with them? And would the internet on the ships generally be available while sailing?

I realise quite a lot of the answers to these questions depends on which cruise-liner you apply for, but I'm just asking in a general sense what the answer would be.

Thank you SO much for your help!
Michael

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Michael
« Reply #1 on: 06/March/2009 »
Hey Michael,

here, let me address a couple of your concerns ...

First of all, obviously you'll get a lot of questions about how much time you can spend it ports. Specifically, did you have time to act almost as a tourist in some ports? Where you able to properly explore the areas you were in, or is it really almost impossible to actually see much of the places that you go?

Do not believe all those storied about hard work and 14 hrs day ... dependable on position, you will have more or less time in ports, but you WILL have time off, and you WILL feel and be a tourist, with the great advantage of being paid for your time onboard. You have mentioned a bartenders job, so let me tell you that it is probably the best position you could get. Lots of fan in bars and very decent money.

The second question is about job competition. Clearly a job on a cruise liner is a dream job for many people, so is there a lot of competition for jobs? How would cruise liners pick who to employ out of a list of non-skilled applicants? Would it be better to train say as a bartender before applying, and therefore have a better chance of entry?

They will not take you as non-skilled for bartender's job, period.
You will have to have the knowledge of mixing drinks, cocktails, wines, wiskeys ...
I suggest you get at leat a short course before applying for position.
Feel free to inflate your CV with imagenary experiance, they simply do not bother to check with your alleged previous employer(s). Use your imagination, but have someone to answer the call you mention as a reference, just in case.

The third question is about the holiday time. You said that you get a couple of weeks of unpaid vacation for a 6 month contract. Would this vacation have to be on the ship? Or could it be taken while at a port, hence using the vacation time to explore the area? (Kind of linking into first question there) Would you be able to fly home and back for that vacation?

Your vacation can not be on ship, unless you pay for it. Your room gets occupied by other guy, and upon your return, you get another room. Never met a guy who wanted to stay on ship during vacation. In most cases, the company will fly you home and back to the ship, at their expense.

My next question is about personal space; I have this vision that on this huge cruise ship I'd be able to find a special personal place that most people wouldn't know about, and therefore be able to spend some personal time there. Would you think that things like that would occur?

Here lays my only concern for you. Among 3-4.000 passengers and 1.200 crewmembers, it is close to impossible to isolate yourself. First of all, you share your cabin/room with a roomate, and the only recreation area for crewmembers onboard is crew bar. You have internet room and gym, but that is it. You can not hide.
As a bartender though, you would be often free during daytime, and that is when the crew bar is empty.
You can reed a book or have a coffee, and nobody will bother you.

My final question is surrounding computer and internet access on-board.
Would workers be permitted to bring laptops with them?
And would the internet on the ships generally be available while sailing?

You are welcome to bring your laptop, but most crewmembers buy them in tax free ports for lesser price.
Internet IS generaly available while sailing, $20 for 200 minutes. I recommend to use it in ports.

:uzdravlje:
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline michaba03m

• Registered
    • View Profile
Michael
« Reply #2 on: 06/March/2009 »
Do not believe all those storied about hard work and 14 hrs day ... dependable on position, you will have more or less time in ports, but you WILL have time off, and you WILL feel and be a tourist, with the great advantage of being paid for your time onboard.

specifically, for you, what's your experience been on how long you've been allowed to explore ports?
Say, for example, if you stopped at London, would you be able to go into London and see some sites?

They will not take you as non-skilled for bartender's job, period.
You will have to have the knowledge of mixing drinks, cocktails, wines, wiskeys ...
I suggest you get at leat a short course before applying for position.
Feel free to inflate your CV with imagenary experiance, they simply do not bother to check with your alleged previous employer(s). Use your imagination, but have someone to answer the call you mention as a reference, just in case.

So say if I did a short course in the future, did a bit of experience and inflated that on the CV, cobined with the fact that by then I'd already have worked on a passenger ship (not a cruise liner though, it's another story XD), and also that I've lived in turkey for 9 years so am i've been in loads of different cultures and met different kinds of people, do you think that wouldn't be too difficult to be offered a job?

About vacations, can you take a vacation at the port you are at? So say if you are in Sydney, then you stay in a hotel in Sydey for a week as you explore it?

Last note on the privacy, the privacy of having day off where it's all pretty much empty definitely sounds as if that would suffice for me, so no probs!

Thanks for all your help so far!

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Michael
« Reply #3 on: 07/March/2009 »
specifically, for you, what's your experience been on how long you've been allowed to explore ports?
Say, for example, if you stopped at London, would you be able to go into London and see some sites?

I spent at least a couple of years in night shift, which means that I was off during day, all day long.
I would go for 7-8 hours away, come back from a beach minutes before departure many times.
Some people take energy drinks to keep them awake in ports. It is very active lifestyle, and a good number of crewmembers opted for sleep and occasional visits, in order to endure it.
And if you constantly have trouble finding time to get off the ship, it is possible to pay a fellow crewmember to do your shift, and it happens often. Supervisors do not care as long as there is someone to do the job.

So say if I did a short course in the future, did a bit of experience and inflated that on the CV, combined with the fact that by then I'd already have worked on a passenger ship (not a cruise liner though, it's another story XD), and also that I've lived in turkey for 9 years so am i've been in loads of different cultures and met different kinds of people, do you think that wouldn't be too difficult to be offered a job?

Sounds very good to me. Stress that you spent time working with international guests, meeting and loving to work with different cultures ...  :rolleyes:

About vacations, can you take a vacation at the port you are at? So say if you are in Sydney, then you stay in a hotel in Sydey for a week as you explore it?

Your vacation will be 6 weeks, and in that time, there is nothing going on between you and the company.
They do not know that you exist until the day comes when you take the place of the next crewmember who goes for vacation. Then they will notice that you are missing. I stayed at home 3 times for extended periods, and they would call me back, not from the ship, but from the schedulers office.
He is in charge of the fleet rotation, and that is his only job. I had many problems with the guy, as they loved to get me onboard without EOC date (end of contract date), and then they would love to keep me onboard for as long as possible (8 months if I don't say something).
I always had to engage Staff Captain to get me off the godamn ship  :rtfm:

Offline michaba03m

• Registered
    • View Profile
Michael
« Reply #4 on: 07/March/2009 »
hey man thanks a lot for replying again =)
i've heard that gift shop jobs are really good, because of international laws they are closed whenever the ship's in port, which means that u get all that time off!!
and it wouldn't be too hard at all to get work experience, especially ifi did experience in perfumes and fragrances then i'd stand a good chance right?
man you've really made me wanna go and work on a ship now; they should pay you for this!!
more of a personal question now lol, but what was ur favourite place to visit?

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Michael
« Reply #5 on: 08/March/2009 »
hey man thanks a lot for replying again =)
i've heard that gift shop jobs are really good, because of international laws they are closed whenever the ship's in port, which means that u get all that time off!!
and it wouldn't be too hard at all to get work experience, especially ifi did experience in perfumes and fragrances then i'd stand a good chance right?
man you've really made me wanna go and work on a ship now; they should pay you for this!!
more of a personal question now lol, but what was ur favourite place to visit?

Right on, gift shop jobs are amongst the best, But you do not get the time off because of any law, you get it because people leave the ship during day and shop in the ports. That is the reason why ship's shops are closed in ports. Money is not that great as in Bar, but at least you get to visit ports extensively.
I have seen many crew in shops that were struggling with English, so being from UK, I imagine you only need to show up at the interview to get the job.

Favorite place to visit? I liked Nassau because of hot&sauer soup in Chinese restaurant and the biggest hotel complex I ever seen - Atlantis.
They had a couple of European style coffees close to the peer in center of the City where one could get a real coffee and even the European newspapers ...

Second best was Disneys' private island Castaway Cay and pristine beach in the middle of nowhere.

The third was Cozumel, Mexico. Unlike in US, in Mexico is mass production of food still rare, and the prices were low.
Lots of good hand made silver objects, alligator boots ... pristine beaches ...
Got hooked on Mexican beer there (Sol)