Author Topic: Youth Counselor  (Read 14164 times)

Offline Lele77

• Registered
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« on: 06/December/2008 »
Hello! I know you opened this forum a while ago, but I just found it today. Anyway, I am very interested in getting a cruise ship job and would appreciate any tips you would like to give. I worked hard on my cover letter and resume and sent them to several companies, including a couple of recruitment agencies. Would that be the best way to go? What do you suggest? I was also wondering, do you have to take a supply of toileteriesto last the length of the contract or do you actually have the chance to go off board and buy simple things like shampoo and toothpaste?

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« Reply #1 on: 06/December/2008 »
Hello! I know you opened this forum a while ago, but I just found it today. Anyway, I am very interested in getting a cruise ship job and would appreciate any tips you would like to give. I worked hard on my cover letter and resume and sent them to several companies, including a couple of recruitment agencies. Would that be the best way to go? What do you suggest? I was also wondering, do you have to take a supply of toiletries to last the length of the contract or do you actually have the chance to go off board and buy simple things like shampoo and toothpaste?

Hello Lele77!

Email actually rarely works, they will get back to you only if they are desperate, I suggest calling them and then visiting them. It is hard to recommend an agency, but I will try to get you some addresses.
I guess you have not worked on the ship before?
Youth Cnslr and Youth Security are very good options, I have seen a number of US citizen on Disney and Princess doing that jobs.

DO NOT bother with toiletries, you have everything in crew shop onboard all vessels.
Toothpaste and toothbrush will suffice.
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline Lele77

• Registered
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« Reply #2 on: 07/December/2008 »
Hello again!
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I have never worked on a ship before but I am extremely motivated and enthusiastic about it. I got a couple of answers from the agencies I e-mailed my resume to. One of them asked me to fill out their online application, the other asked me about my passport status. I am hoping I can get something soon. I believe this could be a good time to apply.

I understand that the Youth Counselor position falls under the Cruise Director, but unfortunatelly, I could not get any Cruise Director's name in order to send a personalized application. Uh, by the way, should I send a picture of me with the cover letter and resume? Any suggestions of how to get a name in the department? I tried calling several companies, but had no success, it always goes to an answering machine and the last message is for you to apply online on their website.

I appreciate your tips, thank you so much!!! May I ask you which line do you work for?

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« Reply #3 on: 07/December/2008 »
I've spent 5 years with Disney and 2 with Princess.  :plovim:

It is probably not a good idea to send any personal information out there, to an address that "seems" ok.
You should be ok with applying at official Cruise Line company' sites though.

We have reliable recruiting agencies in this part of the world (East Europe), but USA is another story.
Many shady sites lurking for your money ...

Offline Lele77

• Registered
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« Reply #4 on: 31/January/2009 »
Hello everybody!! Thank you so much for all your support. I appreciate all the information you have provided.

I just came back from a seasonal contract with Celebrity Cruises. They needed a Youth Staff for 2 cruises during X-mas and New Year's. I loved the experience and can't wait to be on board a ship again. So now I need to start applying for ship jobs all over again, in order to get a full term contract. Any help is welcome!!

Hey, Scott, I checked you website. It's great! Lots of useful information. Thank you so much!!
By any chance do you know the site "www.cruiseplacement.com" (Cruise Placement Hiring Agency)?
I checked them out from your website. They are hiring a Youth Counselor for a major Cruise Line. However, they do not mention which Cruise Line it is. The salary seems to be a bit more than other companies would offer, and they will also pay your way to the ship, which seems a bit weird, but hey everything is possible. The thing is that they charge US$39.00 just to receive the application. I tried calling the number on the site, but it goes to an answering machine. I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this agency. I'd hate to pay the fee and send my resume with personal information to a place that will not help me in anything.

I know I have all the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to get the ship job. I am also confident and motivated, but need to contact the right people at the right time. I won't take "no" for an answer! I REALLY want this job. Thank you all!

Online CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Youth Counselor
« Reply #5 on: 31/January/2009 »
Hello Lele77!

I would not trust www.cruiseplacement.com or any other for that matter, unless there is an info written somewhere by someone who used their services.
There is huge number of scams around, and cruise ship job is one of the favorite schemes.
Calling the number that goes to an answering machine is a baaaad sign.

I know that Princess and Disney pay 2 way tickets to get their staff onboard, sometimes just for a week or two, cause it all depends on projected passenger's number. In holiday season, they hire more youth counselors, as well as youth security.
Those are perfect positions for USA citizen at the cruise line.

Have you tried contacting official web sites of the companies you're interested in?

Offline gryedouge

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Youth Counselor
« Reply #6 on: 14/September/2010 »
Hello Lele77!

I would not trust www.cruiseplacement.com or any other for that matter, unless there is an info written somewhere by someone who used their services.
There is huge number of scams around, and cruise ship job is one of the favorite schemes.
Calling the number that goes to an answering machine is a baaaad sign.

I know that Princess and Disney pay 2 way tickets to get their staff onboard, sometimes just for a week or two, cause it all depends on projected passenger's number. In holiday season, they hire more youth counselors, as well as youth security.
Those are perfect positions for USA citizen at the cruise line.

Have you tried contacting official web sites of the companies you're interested in?

i agree with this. always be careful when it comes to hiring agents and when they start asking for money up front, then you need to rethink their services. I find it best, from my limited experience to always visit the cruise line site and apply directly. I got a position after 2 months.

If you are looking for alternatives, NCL is also quite big on YCs.