Author Topic: Canadian Assistant Waiter  (Read 5572 times)

Offline seamonster

• Registered
    • View Profile
Canadian Assistant Waiter
« on: 21/May/2009 »
Hello everyone,

I have just recently gotten a job offer for assistant waiter onboard the jewel of the seas with royal Caribbean. i should be leaving for the job in july and it will last six months. I am a Canadian/ Serbian national. And i am sailing with my Canadian flag.  I speak English fluently and i have a degree in hospitality management from Toronto.  Some people say its the most difficult job i have applied for? Is it possible to advance in your job on board during your first contract?  Also is it possible to change departments during contract? For example from dining room to shore excursion? how many hours do assistant waiters and waiter work for?  Do waiters ever get off the ship? Thanks for your help. :yahoo:

Seamonster

Offline CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Assistant Waiter
« Reply #1 on: 21/May/2009 »
Monster, degree in hospitality management and Canadian passport will not help you much on that particular position. I have a feeling that you should have opted for other position, where citizenship matters.

I am Croatian, who was working for $1.750 the same job as my Canadian roomate, who was getting paid $3.000.

You have chosen pretty hard job indeed,  ""]] and "entry level", one that everybody can get with a 5 days course.

Sure, you will get time off, lots of it if you want, cause you can let someone else do the breakfast service for example, but then that someone else will get yours 50-60$. It can be arranged.
However ... Canadian citizen as Assistant Waiter ...  no;;;
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline seamonster

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/May/2009 »
Monster, degree in hospitality management and Canadian passport will not help you much on that particular position. I have a feeling that you should have opted for other position, where citizenship matters.

I am Croatian, who was working for $1.750 the same job as my Canadian roomate, who was getting paid $3.000.

You have chosen pretty hard job indeed,  ""]] and "entry level", one that everybody can get with a 5 days course.

Sure, you will get time off, lots of it if you want, cause you can let someone else do the breakfast service for example, but then that someone else will get yours 50-60$. It can be arranged.
However ... Canadian citizen as Assistant Waiter ...  no;;;

WOW hvala na brzom odgovoru sefe :). Nisam znao da su tolike razlike u placi ako su ljudi drugih nacionalnosti! Ja sam ceo zivot proveo u restoranima kao kuvar i waiter u malim restoranima nikada 5 zvezdica. i zato se i skolovao za restoran managment. Hteo sam da radim na brodu kao restaurant manager jednog dana. Dali znas koliko brzo se dolazi do takvih pozicija? Takodje sam primetio da u restoranu na brodu se zaradjuje najbolje. Ja sam se nedavno vratio iz kanade (gde sam ziveo 8 godina) u srbiju i aplcirao sam za poslove preko employment power u zagrebu.Oni su pogledali moj CV i rekli da je restoran jedina opcija. Interview je proso bezbolno, cak nismo ni pricali o hrani. Ako mi mozes reci koja su to radna mesta za "Canadian citizens" ako assistant waiter nisu :). Hvala unapred

Offline CEO

• Administrator
  • Registered
  • Chief Executive Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/May/2009 »
WOW hvala na brzom odgovoru sefe :). Nisam znao da su tolike razlike u placi ako su ljudi drugih nacionalnosti! Ja sam ceo zivot proveo u restoranima kao kuvar i waiter u malim restoranima nikada 5 zvezdica. i zato se i skolovao za restoran managment. Hteo sam da radim na brodu kao restaurant manager jednog dana. Dali znas koliko brzo se dolazi do takvih pozicija? Takodje sam primetio da u restoranu na brodu se zaradjuje najbolje. Ja sam se nedavno vratio iz kanade (gde sam ziveo 8 godina) u srbiju i aplcirao sam za poslove preko employment power u zagrebu.Oni su pogledali moj CV i rekli da je restoran jedina opcija. Interview je proso bezbolno, cak nismo ni pricali o hrani. Ako mi mozes reci koja su to radna mesta za "Canadian citizens" ako assistant waiter nisu :). Hvala unapred

I thought this was ENGLISH SECTION OF THE FORUM:rtfm:  :rtfm:

The Restaurant Manager's job takes a lot of hard work and much more interpersonal skills than any other position onboard.
I guess it takes a couple of contracts, and a lot of luck. Education plays no role in it. You just have to prove yourself to everyone.
Higher pay due to the Canadian citizen passport will get you any non-tipping position, such as Youth Counselor, Youth Security, all the Entertainment positions, officer positions ... purser's positions ... etc
Odavno ne plovim. Sve odgovore pronađite na forumu.
http://youtu.be/gABS8a4wm9o (door=forum, ja Morpheus ti Neo)

Offline seamonster

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/May/2009 »
I thought this was ENGLISH SECTION OF THE FORUM:rtfm:  :rtfm:

The Restaurant Manager's job takes a lot of hard work and much more interpersonal skills than any other position onboard.
I guess it takes a couple of contracts, and a lot of luck. Education plays no role in it. You just have to prove yourself to everyone.
Higher pay due to the Canadian citizen passport will get you any non-tipping position, such as Youth Counselor, Youth Security, all the Entertainment positions, officer positions ... purser's positions ... etc

OH yeah i just realized that it was english version, sorry im new to the concept of forums. got lost in the menus. ANd again thanks for the advice